Sunday, September 21, 2014

Snow in September

We had a ninety degree day this past week, but last week, we had our first snow of the season. As the fluffy stuff piled up and gardens froze, my Facebook newsreel was awash with white. This is a natural reaction to snow in September, even in the West, but the day was September 11th.

I realized once again that any tragedy eventually becomes old news. On a day that is normally reserved for moving posts about where we were that day (I was on Capitol Hill) and heart-felt remembrances, we were consumed with the precipitation on our decks.

I actually don't think this is a bad thing. Like most people, I have had tragedy in my life - the kind that punches you in the stomach whenever you wake up. It is a relief to know that the immediate can eventually consume death, destruction and terror.

No comments:

Post a Comment